on Benford's law and my own coin tosses

I tossed a coin last week just for the sake of proving that Benford's law was correct. Yeah, me and my semi-autistic tendencies to spend my pastime.

For it was said there:

Dr. Theodore P. Hill asks his mathematics students at the Georgia Institute of Technology to go home and either flip a coin 200 times and record the results, or merely pretend to flip a coin and fake 200 results. The following day he runs his eye over the homework data, and to the students' amazement, he easily fingers nearly all those who faked their tosses.

Probability predictions are often surprising. In the case of the coin-tossing experiment, Dr. Hill wrote in the current issue of the magazine American Scientist, a "quite involved calculation" revealed a surprising probability. It showed, he said, that the overwhelming odds are that at some point in a series of 200 tosses, either heads or tails will come up six or more times in a row. Most fakers don't know this and avoid guessing long runs of heads or tails, which they mistakenly believe to be improbable. At just a glance, Dr. Hill can see whether or not a student's 200 coin-toss results contain a run of six heads or tails; if they don't, the student is branded a fake.

And yep, I didn't even have to reach my 50th percentile just to prove Benford. I got a straight run of six Heads starting from my 39th toss.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP