Why old movies are not worth watching

In deciding whether a movie is worth watching, I tend to have several aspects in mind. I favour movies that are:





  1. Hollywood, French, German, or Japanese produced


  2. Produced after year 1999




It's not about BWs or silent movies, really (though I have to admit, I am not knowledgeable in that aspect since I have not watched any BW or silent before).

Despite being a young film aficionado, I am not biased against indie movies. Just because a movie is indie does not mean that it is going to suck (though I admit around 50% to 60% of indie movies have a poorly-written script).



Here are several reasons why think that any movies produced before 1999 are not worth watching:

1. Movies of those era (especially Westerns and dramas produced between 1950 to 1989), tend to have a loud, blaring classical soundtrack that eats up the first 10 minutes of the movie intro.

I find that very annoying, especially when that soundtrack has almost the same decibel loudness as the characters speaking in the movie. I'd rather watch something where I can hear the characters speaking...I'm not deaf, I don't need soundtracks that loud and that long.

2. Older movies tend to have poorer CGI (this should be obvious).

I am not a fan of CGI-heavy movies like the The Transformers or Chronicles of Narnia franchises, but I personally think that if you have to have CGI in your movie, you gotta do it right, baby! There is nothing more painful than having to be entertained with a good storyline in the beginning, only to have your eyes hurt having to watch poor attempts at CGI by prehistoric people.

3. That classical soundtrack I mentioned above in No.1 would be played in endless loop throughout 80% of the movie duration.

with the same loud, blaring decibels.


~~~~~~~~

Of course, exceptions do exist. I find both The Sound of Music (1965) and Heidi (1993) highly likable.

But such exceptions are rare. Until this day, I still cannot get myself to watch highly-recommended oldies such as Scarface, The Godfather franchise, or Lawrence of Arabia. I just haven't got the willpower to watch them yet.

Jagawana Kimi  – (8 September 2011 at 19:06)  

What about "The Godfather" trilogy? Starring Al Pacino. I think they're excellent movies! And I love the soundtrack, too. :D

toshi  – (11 September 2011 at 20:34)  

You know, people have been recommending me that trilogy. I just haven't got the wills to watch them yet... Probably sometime after my midterms!

Jakartass  – (15 September 2011 at 08:17)  

Oh dear, K2K, you won't watch movies made before 1999 because they "tend to have poorer CGI"?

How about Terminator 2, Jurassic Park, Alien, Toy Story or, and especially, Westworld.

Yes, of their time, but still great entertainment. View them if you like as 'primitive', but also view them as history.

Without an understanding, awareness, of the past then we are doomed to repeat the same mistakes.

toshi  – (17 September 2011 at 09:48)  

I've never heard of Westworld. Though I do concur that Toy Story and Jurassic Park are great movies.

I also failed to take heed that Shawshank Redemption and Forrest Gump (both made in the 90s) were among my most fave movies of all time.

In terms of graphic quality, they fare less well than their modern counterparts. But you do have a point though J, (some of)those movies can make great entertainment too.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP