The Post-Adolescent, Pre-Adult, Not-Quite Decided Life Stage

Such is the title of an article by Robin Marantz Henig in 22 August 2010 edition of The New York Times Magazine. Sums up what it means to be 21, methinks.

Now what have I achieved so far during the 365 days leading to my 21st year?

Frankly, not much:

1. I haven't got a girlfriend yet. Contrary to my age-old image of being the boy too shy to talk to girls, I am no longer reluctant to express my feelings upon anyone I have a crush on. If I think she's pretty or witty, I say it upfront: no poems made, no mooning around. I have not dated anybody purely due to economical reasons. To date a girl in America simply costs too much.

2. I am quite eloquent in French. Though my Japanese remains somewhat constant, if not degraded.

3. Before my mother came to USA, I spoke Indonesian only twice. The past year before my mother came, I probably spoke less Indonesian than Obama's Jakarta speech altogether. And those two occasions were the times when I had Indonesian customers coming in from Columbus, Ohio (which is the only city nearby that has a significant Indonesian community).

4. I tried having...oh well, never mind. I only did it once though!

5. I have not enrolled in any tertiary institutions. Though this is about to change soon.



Other than that, everything else remains in situ.

meli  – (17 November 2010 at 14:18)  

We must know about number 4 now that you mentioned it. I won't sleep tonight if you don't go into further detail!

toshi  – (26 November 2010 at 00:59)  

I'm afraid you would have to lose some more sleep,mel. It's something that normally would be frowned upon in conservative Asia,hence i won't go to further detail here =P

toshi  – (11 January 2011 at 13:14)  

I don't know...what do you think? ^^

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP