Quotable utterings of the famous (Part 1)

The following text is originally lifted from the trivia section of The Jakarta Post dated Friday, 15 February 2008.

~Compiled from various sources~

  • "Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo" - H.G Wells.
  • "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever" - Napoleon Bonaparte.
  • "Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake" - Chessmaster Savielly Grigorievitch Tartakower.
  • "Don't be so humble - you are not that great" - Golda Meir to a visiting diplomat.
  • "His ignorance is encyclopedic" - Abba Eban
  • "If a man does his best, what else is there?" - Gen. George S. Patton
  • "I can write better than anybody who can write faster, and I can write faster than anybody who can write better" - A.J. Liebling.
  • "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid" - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard.
  • "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet" - Saint Augustine.
  • "Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted" - Albert Einstein.
  • "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" - Albert Einstein.
  • "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Sir Winston Churchill.
  • "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use" - Galileo Galilei.
  • "The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work" - Emile Zola.
  • "This book fills a much-needed gap" - Moses Hadas in a review.
  • "The full use of your powers along lines of excellence" - definition of 'happiness' by John F. Kennedy.
  • "I'm living so far beyond my income that we may almost be said to be living apart" - E.E. Cummings.
  • "Give me a museum and I'll fill it" - Pablo Picasso.
  • "Assassins!" - Arturo Toscanini to his orchestra.
  • "I'll moider da bum" - Heavyweight boxer Tony Galento, when asked what he thought of William Shakespeare.
  • "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is" - Yogi Berra.
  • "I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have" - Thomas Jefferson.
  • "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems" - Rene Descartes, Discours de la Methode.
  • "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends" - Martin Luther King Jr.
  • "Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right" - Henry Ford.
  • "Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go" - Oscar Wilde.
  • "He who has a 'why' to live, can bear with almost any 'how'" - Friedrich Nietzsche.
  • "Many wealthy people are little more than janitors of their possessions" - Frank Lloyd Wright.
  • "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters" - Frank Lloyd Wright.
  • "God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh" - Voltaire.
  • "He is one of those people who would be enormously improved by death" - H.H. Munro (Saki).
  • "I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter" - Sir Winston Churchill.
  • "I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them" - Ian Fleming.
  • "If you can count your money, you don't have a billion dollars" - J. Paul Getty.
  • "Facts are the enemy of truth" - Don Quixote, Man of La Mancha.
  • "When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world" - George Washington Carver.
  • "How wrong it is for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself" - Anais Nin.
  • "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work" - Thomas Alva Edison.
  • "I begin by taking. I shall find scholars later to demonstrate my perfect right" - Frederick (II) the Great.
  • "Maybe this world is another planet's Hell" - Aldous Huxley.
  • "Blessed is the man, who having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy evidence of the fact" - George Eliot.
  • "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth" - Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle).
  • "Black Holes are where God divided by zero" - Steven Wright.
  • "I've had a wonderful time, but this wasn't it" - Groucho Marx.
  • "It's kind of fun to do the impossible" - Walt Disney.
  • "We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time" - Vince Lombardi.
  • "The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist fears this is true" - James Branch Cabell.
  • "A friendship founded on business is better than a business founded on friendship" - John D. Rockefeller.
  • "All are lunatics, but he who can analyse his delusion is called a philosopher" - Ambrose Bierce.
  • "You can only find truth with logic if you have already found the truth without it" - Gilbert Keith Chesterton.
  • "An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered" - Gilbert Keith Chesterton.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP